What is the right BMI for my age?
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH): A BMI of less than 18.5 means that a person is underweight. A BMI of between 18.5 and 24.9 is ideal. A BMI of between 25 and 29.9 is overweight.
How do I calculate my BMI?
Body Mass Index is a simple calculation using a person’s height and weight. The formula is BMI = kg/m2 where kg is a person’s weight in kilograms and m2 is their height in metres squared. A BMI of 25.0 or more is overweight, while the healthy range is 18.5 to 24.9.
Does your BMI change with age?
For adults ages 20 years and older, BMI incorporates weight and height, but it does not take age or sex into account. A woman tends to have more body fat than a man with the same BMI. Likewise, an older person tends to have more body fat than a younger person with an equal BMI.
What is a healthy BMI for a 70 year old woman?
A body mass index of 18.5-24.9 is considered normal, a BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, and a BMI of 30 or more is considered obese. Based on BMI scores, a 5-foot, 7-inch adult would be considered: Underweight at less than 118 pounds (BMI <18.5), Normal weight at 118 to 159 pounds (BMI = 18.5-24.9)
What is the best BMI for a woman?
Doctors consider a healthy BMI for women to be 18.5–24.9. A BMI of 30 or above may indicate obesity. BMI measurements can help someone understand whether they have underweight or overweight.
How do I determine my ideal weight?
Adult Body Mass Index or BMI
- If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the underweight range.
- If your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, it falls within the normal or Healthy Weight range.
- If your BMI is 25.0 to 29.9, it falls within the overweight range.
- If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obese range.
What is a good BMI?
For most adults, an ideal BMI is in the 18.5 to 24.9 range. For children and young people aged 2 to 18, the BMI calculation takes into account age and gender as well as height and weight.
How do you calculate BMI example?
- Formula: weight (kg) / [height (m)]2 With the metric system, the formula for BMI is weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. …
- Example: Weight = 68 kg, Height = 165 cm (1.65 m)
- Calculation: 68 ÷ (1.65 x 1.65) = 24.98.
How can I calculate weight?
- Weight is a measure of the force of gravity pulling down on an object. It depends on the object’s mass and the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.
- The formula for calculating weight is F = m × 9.8 m/s2, where F is the object’s weight in Newtons (N) and m is the object’s mass in kilograms.
What is the ideal BMI for 5 4 female?
This table shows us that a woman who is 5 ft. 4 in. tall is considered overweight (BMI is 25 to 29) if she weighs between about 145 and 169 pounds. She is considered obese (BMI is 30 or more) if she is closer to 174 pounds or more.
What is the average BMI for a woman?
The BMI values corresponding to overweight, obesity, and healthy weight are shown in table 1, along with the corresponding ranges of weight in pounds for men and women of average height. In the United States, the average adult man has a BMI of 26.6 and the average adult woman has a BMI of 26.5.
Is a BMI of 14 bad?
A person with a BMI of 10 or 11 is definitely skinny, but probably OK if they have a small frame. A BMI of 12-13 is good for a person with an average build, and a large-framed person would still be healthy with a BMI of 14. Past that, unless you’re a super muscular athlete, you probably need to lose a few pounds.
What is the average weight for a 75 year old woman?
The average American woman 20 years old and up weighs 170.6 pounds and stands at 63.7 inches (almost 5 feet, 4 inches) tall.
What’s the Average Weight for Women?Age group (years)Percent considered overweight or obesePercent considered obese45-5469.542.955-6474.548.265-7475.643.575 and up67.432.7Ещё 3 строки
Should you weigh more as you get older?
Now new research has uncovered why that is: lipid turnover in the fat tissue decreases during aging and makes it easier to gain weight, even if we don’t eat more or exercise less than before. Many people struggle to keep their weight in check as they get older.
How do I lose weight at 70?
Healthy Diet and Exercise Tips for Aging Adults
- Start with walking. There is conflict over whether walking is as good for you as running, but everyone agrees walking regularly at even a moderate pace is extremely healthy. …
- Regular exercise. …
- Portion control. …
- Eat the right foods. …
- Keep eating nutritiously.